Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyHeartDiseaseTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyHeartDiseaseTeam Member asked a question 💭
Canton, OH

Here are some possible side effects of common blood pressure drugs that you should report to your doctor immediately.

Related:
Quiz: Test Your Salt Smarts
ACE inhibitors: Abdominal pain, chest pain, fast heartbeat, yellowed skin, problems breathing or swallowing, signs of infection, or swelling in your lips, tongue, or throat. Sudden swelling could be a sign of a condition called angioedema, which is a medical emergency

Beta-blockers: Chest pain, problems breathing, slow or irregular… read more

January 6
 · 
Reactions
A MyHeartDiseaseTeam Member

The list of side effects can be overwhelming, but not everyone has all those side effects. They list potential side effects, so be alert to them. I was having a lot of fatigue with one of my medications. So the doctor reduced the dosage and things are good now. So keep track of what's bothering you.And let your doctor know right away, so he or she can adjust the dosage or try a different medication to manage symptoms. I'm so grateful my symptoms are managed very well right now with the medicines that I'm on.

January 6
A MyHeartDiseaseTeam Member

Hi JimJenkins, my pulse slowed down too far (In the 40s) that my doc took me off of a med. I'm usually around 60 now but before attack I was in the 80s. Doc said they don't want it too slow or it could just stop. Don't want that! I'm glad my doc watches all these things. I try to support her as much as I can because she is overworked and has two young children. We need our doctors. I pay a lot for insurance but have never had a bill to pay for the doctor or clinic. I'd rather do it that way, then I don't have to worry about any visits. We can also write to our doctors and get information. I also see a therapist for my depression and anxiety. Nice that I can write to her too. Blessings for all!

January 16
MyHeartDiseaseTeam

What should you know about serious side effects from blood pressure medications?

It sounds like you're feeling overwhelmed about which symptoms to watch for with your heart medications. That's completely understandable—managing heart disease means staying alert to how your body responds to treatment.

The serious side Show Full Answer

What should you know about serious side effects from blood pressure medications?

It sounds like you're feeling overwhelmed about which symptoms to watch for with your heart medications. That's completely understandable—managing heart disease means staying alert to how your body responds to treatment.

The serious side effects you've listed are accurate and important to know. Here's what matters most:

When to call 911 immediately:
* Swelling in your throat or face
* Problems breathing or swallowing
* Chest pain
* Hives with wheezing or vomiting
* Fainting or severe light-headedness

Report to your doctor right away:
* Irregular or very slow heartbeat
* Severe rashes
* Sudden vision changes
* Unusual swelling in limbs
* Muscle weakness or cramping
* Yellowed skin

ACE inhibitors can cause a rare but serious reaction called angioedema, which involves sudden swelling and requires emergency care. Calcium channel blockers commonly cause leg swelling as a side effect, though severe facial swelling needs immediate attention.

Your healthcare team is your best resource for guidance. If you're ever unsure whether a symptom is serious, it's always better to call and ask rather than wait.

January 6
A MyHeartDiseaseTeam Member

MargieMac, I had A-Fib but no symptoms. Cardio version corrected it soon after diagnosis, immediately bought a BP cuff, Oxy meter, Kardia mobile and pulse monitor. Full body scan for another issue shows heart, peripheral arteries all normal
Doctor asked me "Why are you hear"? Answer. Cover their asses, maximize billable procedures, double bill, bill for services not provided, figure a little extra charge? You'll never notice?

January 6

Related Questions

View All
A MyHeartDiseaseTeam Member asked a question 💭
Oak Forest, IL

A MyHeartDiseaseTeam Member asked a question 💭
Los Angeles, CA

A MyHeartDiseaseTeam Member asked a question 💭
Toronto, CA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In