Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyHeartDiseaseTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyHeartDiseaseTeam Member asked a question 💭
Atlanta, GA
September 22
 · 
Reactions
A MyHeartDiseaseTeam Member

I have to take it twice a day. I also take other medications to lower my heart rate and have fast acting metropolol for when my heart is racing to fast and won’t slow down.

2 days ago
A MyHeartDiseaseTeam Member

Christina, I, too, had that plan: take half and hope and then take more if I still needed it. It is a short-acting beta-blocker, so it is safe to use like this with medical supervision and by monitoring your blood pressure so you don't drop it too low. I don't do this anymore since I had the AV node ablation. I do still take a long-acting beta blocker I don't know how much longer the EP will keep me on it.

2 days ago
A MyHeartDiseaseTeam Member

I wish I could take only once a day, my cardiologist has me taking it twice a day ( but I have become an extreme case for him ).

September 22
MyHeartDiseaseTeam

Metoprolol succinate is the generic name for Toprol-XL, a prescription beta-blocker medication approved by the FDA. It's used to treat angina (chest pain), heart failure, and high blood pressure. Here's how it works in simple terms:

- It blocks stress signals that affect the heart
- This slows the heart rate down
- It Show Full Answer

Metoprolol succinate is the generic name for Toprol-XL, a prescription beta-blocker medication approved by the FDA. It's used to treat angina (chest pain), heart failure, and high blood pressure. Here's how it works in simple terms:

- It blocks stress signals that affect the heart
- This slows the heart rate down
- It reduces how hard the heart has to work
- For those with angina, this lowers the heart's need for oxygen, which can ease chest pain

One convenient feature is that it's an extended-release formula, meaning it's taken just once a day — which many people find easier to manage than short-acting versions. Some things to be aware of while taking it:

- Tiredness and low energy are common
- Heart rate or blood pressure can drop too low, so monitoring is important
- Shortness of breath can occur and should be reported to a doctor right away
- Never stop taking it suddenly without speaking to a doctor first

A MyHeartDiseaseTeam member shared: *"I was on metoprolol, and because of side effects, I was instructed to switch to a different medication. My cardiologist said I had to stop it slowly."*

Always work closely with a cardiologist to find the right dose and form for your specific needs.

September 22

Related Questions

View All
A MyHeartDiseaseTeam Member asked a question 💭
Kunkletown, PA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In